Monday, May 14, 2012

Adventures in canning.

Let me preface this by saying I don't can, ( or is it cann? see how little i know). I have never canned in my life.  So I figured tonight was the perfect night to try it.

This all started with a search for BBQ sauce recipes. And a quick trip to Jamie Oliver's epic bbq sauce recipe . He mentions at the bottom about essentially canning the remaining bbq sauce so it can keep. Whaaaa??  


Why have I never thought of this before... oh wait because I have never canned anything in my life.

The directions are fairly simple. Sterilize your jars and lids in boiling water for 10 min, fill your jar with sauce, close lid tightly, put back in boiling water for 10 min, let cool and bam homemade bbq sauce that will keep for 6 months.. hmmmm I could do this.

Since we all know I enjoy sharing through pictures, you won't be surprised there are pictures for this YAY!!!!

Ok sorry i have too much time on my hands finding these gif's. I apologize. kinda.

Alright here it goes. Canning my homemade bbq sauce for the first time ( and hopefully not the last time)
Step 1. Pick a good sized pot that will hold water AND cover a can fully. fill with water, set to boil.
Step 2. realize that it takes forever for water to boil, decide to make Fun in da middle cupcakes while you wait
Step 2b. water has reached boil, place jar, and lids in pot. Wait 10 min.
During your wait you can do many things, get a mini facial with all the steam coming off the pot, clean your dishes from your cupcake mess, eat leftover pizza from dinner. Lots of things to do during your wait.

Step 3. when your timer beeps take out your jars and lid pieces and place on a towel gather your canning items and start filling your jar(s)

Step 4. once your jar is filled close the lid tightly. I'm talking baby huey tight. At this point I was cursing that the baby had started to wake up and the hubby had to go in the room because I really really needed him to close the lid to this jar. Luckily he came out before too long and he baby huey'd that sucker closed.
Step 5. place jar back in boiling water and wait 10 min. During this time you can check on the cupcakes you made earlier.
mmm cupcakes. 

oh wait... here's the jar of sauce in water. ( i know exciting)

Step 6. take out the jar of sauce after 10 min and put back on towel to cool. Very important to allow the jar to cool before you put it in say your fridge. Last thing you want is an exploding jar of bbq sauce to clean up later. I'd put a picture up but it be the exact same picture of after I filled and closed the jar. Instead enjoy this gif of Ken modeling from Toy story 3
* wipes tear from eye* makes me laugh every time. lol

So now you know how to can your own bbq sauce. I 'spose I should put my base bbq recipe so you can get started.

BBQ sauce base
Ketchup 
Tomato paste
Liquid smoke
Worcestershire sauce ( for the record I had to google that because I STILL cannot spell it)
brown sugar
garlic powder
onion powder 
salt, pepper
dijon mustard

Ok notice I didn't put any measurements. This is because I suck. Ok no really its all about taste. So you if you want a more tomatoey taste you can use more ketchup and more tomato paste. If you like it sweeter try dark molasses and honey ( this makes a super awesome caramelized look on your meat when you grill) I usually start off with 1/4 cup of ketchup a small can of paste, 1/4 cup brown sugar and then just start piling on the other things. You can always omit the brown sugar if you want add Sriracha or chili paste if you want a spicy kick to it. Mix it up taste it, add something, taste it some more. You'll find what you like.  
Just in case you've been living under a rock this is Sriracha aka Rooster sauce


and this is chili paste
(just FYI not my pictures. I'm far to lazy to take any more pics right now. They are from a google search. much easier lol.)


Go forth and make your own bbq sauce you'll never want to buy pre made again!!!!

As a closing picture. my cupcakes are done. mmmm cupcakes.



Blogging soundtrack: Channel 7 news. 













No comments:

Post a Comment