Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tie dye experience second batch.

This time was much more time consuming ( my fault) but a lot better. I wound up buying about 22 shirts ( i don't know why, probs because they came in packs of 6 ugh) anyway i bought a bunch of dye so I thought well I need to dye a bunch of shirts or else it will go to waste. [more on that later]. I wound up soaking them in soda ash, even though it said it wasn't necessary, I was going to use some dye from my original batch and Tulip said that the color fades after about 45 min and this dye had been sitting under my sink for the better part of a week.. Better safe than sorry.
So with shirts soaked and my AC broken, yeah that was tons of fun, I started folding, wrapping and twisting. Most came out pretty decently. I had issues with of course the heart design, as usual, but great success with the V even though I didn't tie it but used rubber bands.
I probably should have taken more time to band them better as the bigger shirts got more areas of solid color than I really wanted. What can I say it was hot and there were tons of shirts to do and kids clamoring to get started.

As a novice I have some tips I'd like to share.

Don't get all crazy with colors, I bought a bunch of packs with tons of colors and really you can make most of them with the 3 basic colors of red ( fuchsia if you like it a bit brighter), blue ( or turquoise) and yellow. Although I totally agree with Rose that the lime green tulip makes is awesome and the first color to always go lol. Also you could wind up with contamination with splashing or drips. It also keeps you from making ugly colors you might not want in a bright shirt.

Keep your shirts away from the dye area till everything is mixed and ready to go again the contamination can be an issue. When cutting the dye pack and opening the bottles lots of dye particles got everywhere. I probably also should have changed my gloves for that reason. Since I had dye on them touch the wet shirt, well it can lead to having spots where you don't want them.

Be mindful of folds, and getting dye in there. Unless you want more white in your shirt.

make sure you have all your stuff together like your plastic bags to keep your shirts in, a bucket for holding them to wait it out, a towel or whatever you might think you need. Last thing you want to do is be searching for something while you have tons of dye on your hands.

On to the folds. Start simple. I tried the heart and failed miserably this time around. Also be mindful when you do front of shirt only folds, the back of the shirt may get a big block of solid dye and might not be the look you were going for. Easiest folds for me, the bullseye, sunbursts and mushrooms ( or as I call them nubs lol) the vertical stripes, I did a kinda full V which wasn't super hard other than the banding part ( probably should have used a string for that one). Make sure if you are doing anything that requires you to draw on the shirt to use a washable marker. I used a Crayola and it washed right out.

Be mindful of color blending. colors will run and blend. some colors don't do so well together. My son has yet to figure this part out but he likes his shirts so I guess its cool lol.

Alright on to some pictures.
This is a single swirl.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ok I have to say I'm so glad this is my shirt because the colors are pretty freakin sweet. lol
Photobucket

My failed heart. So sad
Photobucket

Bullseyes

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sunbursts on the sides
Photobucket

The Double swirl ( a bit harder to get right than it looks)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Sometimes cool stuff happens in the folding/swirling process.
Photobucket

Vertical Stripes
Photobucket

Photobucket

My two baby onesies. bullseye
Photobucket

and swirl
Photobucket

Sunbursts and nubs/mushrooms
Photobucket

Photobucket

This one i used older dye and as you can see the colors are a bit more muted
Photobucket

A partial V.
Photobucket


This is a single swirl, but this is what turns out when you don't get dye in the folds. a bunch of white and just smidges of color.
Photobucket





No comments:

Post a Comment