Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cookies

I caught an episode of Pioneer Women last Saturday, I was intrigued by these Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies she was making. I love a good chocolate chip cookie, I love flat crunchy cookies, these seemed to fit the bill. So I moseyed on over to her blog to get the recipe. Seemed simple enough though I have never bought Malted Milk before, and was thinking watch them not even have it at Albertson's. But no they did. Today was a cookie baking adventure.

It started out like any other cookie, butter, sugar, eggs, all that. I think my ninja hand mixer was on strike or needed an alignment or something because it just didn't want to go smoothly to the right. However I smacked fixed it in the end lets hope it learned its lesson. Things were going fine till I added the malted milk, then it got a bit tough to mix it, then I had to add the flour and other dry ingredients. even tougher. I gave up with the mixer and decided to hand mix it which just made me tired, but well it was working. Till I realized I still had to mix the chips in. craaaaaap, more hand mixing. In the end it felt like there were too many dry ingredients and I was a bit worried it wouldn't mix together smoothly, but it did. Times like this I would kill for a Kitchen aid or even a generic aid stand mixer. Maybe one day soon.

I finally got to use my cookie scooper I picked up one day at Wal-Mart. My excitement was for nothing, it sucked. I'm getting a better one at the cooking store. Stupid plastic thing... I mean it worked ok, but it could have been much better [ i know i know full of complaints today]. So I put my parchment paper on my cookie sheets, I don't have those fancy schmancy liners and my cookie sheets are pretty awful and not really non-stick anymore, so parchment paper for me it is, and remembering the tip that these cookies spread I put 6 cookies per sheet spread out nicely and put them in my 375* oven per recipe.

At first it smelled sooo delish... then a little burnt, but naww it can't be it said 10-12 min and its only been like 6 min. I opened the door and the edges of the cookies were burningish, so I pulled them out and they were... hard. They weren't burnt or inedible, just not soft or chewy in anyway shape or form. and they had slightly burnt edges.. A nice char if you will. well hmmm.

Executive decision time. I turn the oven down to 325-350 somewhere around there and put in my next batch of cookies. I put my timer for 6 min ( so I could check on them) and things were moving along nicely. At a lower temp they did take about 10-12 min to set up nicely. Makes mental note.

Taste wise. I thought they were very tasty. There is an almost creaminess about them. The crunchy edges and softer chewy centers are a cookie lovers dream. I think I may make these again, but when I'm in a less pissy mood and when I make a note to lower the oven temp to avoid burning lol.

So as you can see the cookie in the forefront is from the lowered temp batch. pretty chocolate chip color no burnt edges. the cookie to the right is from the first batch, burnt edges and crispier than it should be. The cookie on the left is from the third batch, They didn't burn, but I didn't watch them so they are a bit darker in color. If I had had ice cream I so would have made ice cream sandwiches out of them.

and for those who want to try them:
*** I do recommend to lower the oven temp between 325 and 350 to avoid burning or you can do a test cookie to see how long they need to stay in if you want to keep it at 375*

  • 1 cup (2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter Softened
  • 3/4 cups Golden Brown Sugar
  • 3/4 cups Sugar
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1-1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1-1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 cup (rounded) Malted Milk Powder
  • 1 bag (12 Ounce) Milk Chocolate Chips

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream butter, then add both sugars and cream until fluffy. Add eggs and beat slightly, then add vanilla and beat until combined. Add malted milk powder and beat until combined.
Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating gently until just combined.
Add chocolate chips and stir in gently.
Drop by teaspoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Bake less if you want chewy cookies; more if you want crispy cookies.
Optional: Allow to cool completely, then use two cookies to make an ice cream sandwich. Add sprinkles to the sides of the ice cream, then wrap individually in plastic wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment