Monday, February 21, 2011

Book reviews... Oh yeah I do that.

Lately I have been at the Library like its my job. ( I am mayor there via 4square) So I am here to share a few ( and by a few I mean just 2 lol) books with all of you.

The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno, By: Ellen Bryson
Bartholomew Fortuno is the World's Thinnest Man, employed by P.T Barnum in his Museum in 1865. Bartholomew is happy being a prodigy with his best friend Matina, the fat lady, and Alley the strong man, performing during the week for the crowd, sharing his 'gift' as he sees it.... Until he sees a new act come in and is suddenly intrigued. The new act is a woman Iell who has a gift beyond all imagination ( even *I* was shocked at the revelation).

I had a hard time trying to get into the book at first. I think it was more me than the book. It is well written and captivating, I really wanted to see what the whole deal was and what was going on with Iell and Barnum and Bartholomew. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Julie & Julia: My year of cooking dangerously, By: Julie Powell
Heard of Julia Child? Seen the movie Julie & Julia? Well this is the book from the blog that started it all. Julie Powell, fast approaching 30 and fearful she won't ever have a child decides to cook her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking. She gave herself 365 days to complete 536 recipes. Will she make it?? nail biting ensues

I love LOVE the movie Julie & Julia. I watch it almost all the time. I decided to pick up the book since I loved the movie so much. Its....ok. There are times where I can't figure out what day, what recipe she is talking about. It gets a bit muddled and there are times when it seems there are flash backs within a flash back. And some of the side stories could have been omitted. Overall I give it a 2&1/2 stars out of 5. This is the kind of book you keep in your purse or diaper bag and pull out when you are waiting for an appointment or the like.



No comments:

Post a Comment